Dentists: Know the process – know your legislators in North Carolina and congressional delegation in Washington. Contact your legislators and introduce yourself today. Get to know them before you need them.
- Suppose a bill negatively affecting the practice of dentistry is introduced in the NC General Assembly?
- Suppose a bill negatively affecting the practice of dentistry is introduced in the United States Congress?
- What happens to these bills?
- How do we respond as a profession?
- How do we respond as individuals?
That’s where you come in. We keep you posted on bills that affect our profession. We have staff and lobbyists who advocate for you, but, even the best lobbyist is not as effective as members like you, making your voice heard.
Both in the General Assembly (NC) and the US Congress, a bill is introduced into either the House or Senate. It then goes to a committee for study, hearings and recommendations. That is where the action is. That is where you can have the most powerful effect.
Write. Call. Request to appear at a hearing. Meet with your legislators when they are back home in your district. Get involved. It is critical.
Contact the NCDS to get a list of your state and federal legislators and the committees they serve on. We’ll provide you with talking points on important issues and policies that affect dental health and the dental profession.